Green Production at ITV
06 October 2021 - EBU
We are now five years on from the historic Paris agreement, and as we approach the COP26 Conference in Glasgow later this year, many people see this as our last great chance to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
Producers and Broadcasters must play their part, and ITV has committed to minimising its impact on the planet by setting out an ambitious Climate Action strategy. Philip Holdgate, Head of Production Sustainability at ITV Studios, joined faculty member Mark Egan to explain the need to design a clear strategy for Green Production:
- Net Zero carbon emissions by 2030
- Zero waste by 2030
- 100% sustainable supply chain by 2030
- 100% environmentally trained staff and certified productions by 2021
They discussed the ways this strategy can move forward and how to make the biggest shows with the smallest footprint.
Philip explained how they promote and feature green initiatives on their shows:
- If you can measure it, you can manage it - The importance of measuring your production's footprint
- Technical innovation - Remote working and Cloud based solutions
- Clean energy - LED lighting, clean Generators and zero emissions transport
- Climate conversations - The powerful impact of talking to Cast, Crew and Suppliers
Finally, they explored ways to promote sustainability internally, externally and inclusively.